Sunday, February 22, 2009

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw

I was beginning to think that my habit of buying food magazines is getting a bit excessive so I pledged to try at least one recipe from each magazine I buy.  I must confess, my record has not been perfect.  I am trying.  I have tried a record-breaking TWO recipes from the February 2009 issue of Bon Appétit.  I was a little skeptical about trying a second vegetarian recipe from this issue since the first one (Panang Tofu Curry) was disappointing.  This recipe was a pleasant surprise and it is definitely a keeper for us.  We used the whole bag of coleslaw mix and double the quantity of dressing and serve it as a side salad.

Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 white or yellow corn tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Bottled chipotle hot sauce or other hot sauce

Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash.  Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl; add coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat.  Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add tortillas in single layer.  Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute.  Fold tacos in half.  Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.  Fill tacos with eta and slaw.  Pass hot sauce along side.

Serves 4 (if served with Mexican rice.  Serves 2-3 with extra coleslaw salad, no rice).

No comments: